Tuesday, July 10, 2018

A Connecticut Yankee Weekend

I had the pleasure of putting another 850 miles on the car for a long Thursday - Sunday weekend.  My friends the Bellaflores invited me up to Connecticut which sounded great.  Indeed it was a great time.

With the Tesla Model 3 the trip from the bottom central area of PA to the top of CT cost me $6.11 in supercharging. Now even for supercharging that's wildly low. Last time I went to visit cousins in Boston I paid about $30 for supercharging in NY and MA.

I had been told - but didn't believe some CT superchargers are free for the Tesla Model 3. Normally we pay. Indeed this turned out to be true:

Darien, CT (NB) No Charge $0.00 <---This is on 95 near Stamford CT.  I was down to about 10 miles but was pleased to be able to make it to CT to charge. I also found that the Milford CT supercharger was Not free. Which BTW is fine - supercharging is still way cheaper than gas.

So my energy usage and price was:

Way up:
75 kwh (kilowatt hrs) Full home charge before coming up (My power is $0.13 per kwh (but was probably solar.) call it  - $9.75
42 kwh Darien, CT 7/5 Stop 1 (approx 35 mins)                                -  $0
(Caught in traffic jam going up on I95 so I decide to make a second stop for electrons to drive around Groton on...)
38 kwh (approx) Milford CT  7/5 Stop 2 (exactly 34 mins)                 -  $6.11

Way down:
65 kwh Darien, CT 7/8  (close to 1hr)                                                  - $0
70 kwh Home charging back to full @ 0.13 per kwh             about    - $9.10

Now I admit I'm estimating $18.85 in local power usage at wind rates when it was probably covered by my solar system. Still it's coming from somewhere such as my solar acquisition cost so let's use my wind rate. Add $6.11 in dollars and you have $25 in electron juice or 2.9 cents a mile.

The single stop down was covered time wise by a bathroom pitstop and a coffee break - again not inconvenient.

Gas Buddy Avg CT cost July = $3.03 x 30mph -> roughly 10 cents a mile or $85 for the trip gas.

With the $60 savings I took my friends to dinner for kindly having me up!







No comments:

Post a Comment