Sunday, June 24, 2018

Circe - slightly mentally ill

Well the Tesla Model 3 - Circe - has a problem - not with driving. In fact we were out in the hills today.



I stopped to take a picture since there was a little shoulder space and a nice farm in the distance. So driving the winding hills is as pleasant as always.

The problem is OTA updates. I had called Tesla late last week and asked if my car had an issue as it's firmware was 18.3 and no updates are forthcoming. They poked around a bit and told me the brake subsystem had thrown a code which put a hold on the car for OTA updates. I was given an appointment for 6/22/18 Friday and I tooled the hour and a half South in to Owings Mills, MD Tesla. Clean, lots of helpful folk but it did take a while. After about two hours I was told the code was not an issue and was now cleared. The OTA update was ready, but I delayed it til early in the evening in order to do it at home and not on the road. Hey at least they washed it, very nice, the picture above is shiney.

Sadly the update that evening at home came back with an error - call Tesla Service.  No autopilot. No TACC. No to even regular cruise control. Now most autopilot functions I can live without but at least regular cruise control is a necessity not to get tickets. Too easy to go fast. The weird part was the app and main screen show 2018.21.9 75bdbc11 for the update - so something updated. I'm a 72xx VIN so perhaps we are looking at an early model 3 issue?

I called Tesla that night and next day - both times told to wait for a new OTA which is currently missing in action.... I have the feeling the next call tomorrow is going to involve the big three hour round trip again. Luckily I still enjoy driving even without autopilot. Hopefully emergency features are still working while the cruise control and higher brain function is dead.

As Maxwell Smart would say 'Still ...... Loving it!'.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment