Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Easter weekend with the Tesla Model 3 - Circe

I've begun the process of getting all the recalls done on the Roller Skate (Yaris '09). The Model 3 will be my car for the foreseeable future. With 600 miles over the weekend through Tuesday in the rain the car has completely won me over. I'm not a car guy - I came to electric cars because we've got to get this tech up and running before we fry our grandkids in oil. I have a little experience. I've driven a Mercedes convertible back in the day ( thanks Mitch ) and sat in the German luxury of Porsche and BMW but this Tesla has a Zen simplicity that fits me to a tee. In the rain very sure footed - in new all weather Michelins.  The electronic traction control just doesn't  slip. I'm told the rear wheel can get loose during regenerative braking but I have yet to see it. Smooth and with a calmingly simple interior. With superchargers essentially unlimited range on top of the base 500 kilometers (310 miles). Very nice sound system that streams whatever it is told.

I think I'll call her Circe, a deep blue nymph that is temptation on wheels. She was an enchantress that if I remember Odysseus managed to survive. Hopefully that's good luck.



I promise to get some more pictures as soon as I stop driving.

So it's time to sell the backup gas car. I've never been one to shy away from driving an econobox when the range was beyond the Leaf which was true many times. However it is wearying to drive in bad conditions and hopefully it can still serve someone as I'm sure I'll get very little for it.

Turns out the ipod touch with bluetooth runs the Tesla app as a key just fine. So the phone key is a go. As long as it's within bluetooth range or if it can touch a wifi hotspot it remote controls the cars doors, trunks, glovebox, horn, lights, charging, and climate control. Still I'm shifting to an iPhone to put it all together in one.

No defects I can see yet, just hope the honeymoon lasts a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment