Monday, August 13, 2012

Commute increase - charger upgrade

So the new commute to College Park is a brutal upgrade of at least 60 miles round trip from formerly 26.  Yeech.  Also we are talking later arrivals at home with less juice - yuck.

So as I am a basement apartment dweller I opted to upgrade Nissan's trickle charger. This upgrade with various support thick gauge (12x25') extension cords and various adaptors was about $500. It lets me charge at 240 16amp without buying a permanent station to leave at my apartment.

It does let me charge in 6 hours if empty, 4 hrs for 33% juice left, or an hour gets me a quick 15 miles more or so in the battery - enough to trip south for errands and aikido class in Waldorf.

So far so good - it plugs into my dryer and appears to be working well.

Will report on the new commute as it drives me batty.

Still a typical month going from 20 x 26 = 520 + 400 miles on incidentals = 920
Now is                                        20 x 60 = 1200 + 400 = 1600 or 680 more or 22 gals

That would have been an additional eighty bucks a month!   Closer to $18 with electric.

Dave                  



No comments:

Post a Comment